Sunday, April 15, 2007

My Weekend

Well.....to all of my anxious readers who have been cursing at their monitors because I have not written anything in more than a week, here it is. Lots has happened in the last week since I last wrote about PF Changs and my desire for a Macbook. I am back at school and what I predicted is exactly what happened, I haven' t blogged. I manage to stay fairly busy. For example yesterday I spent the day at Azusa Pacific University for what is called the Christian College Leadership Conference (CCLC). The key note speaker was Erik Thoennes, a Professor at Biola University. He was very good, and many of us felt that he was much better than the speaker last year. I did a little research and found his church that he speaks at occasionally, Grace Evangelical Free Church. I also found a book he wrote titled Godly Jealousy. Today I went to church at Mag and afterwards enjoyed brunch at the caf. Let me just say a few things about brunch at the caf; first of all one of your options is a made to order omelette's, then you have your burrito bar or as I like to get my carne asada quesadilla. Afterwards Hillary and I went with Jon and Whitney over to Whitney's new apartment to check it out. Side Note: I had Burger King for dinner and got my favorite thing which is a Rodeo Cheeseburger. Tonight I was at Tim and Ryan's apartment working on some homework and we watched Man vs Wild which is such a crazy show and the man who does it all Bear Grylls is crazy. Than right after this show I watched for the first time my new favorite show (except of course for The Office). Planet Earth
showed me some of the coolest things that I have ever seen. I laughed (harder than I have in at least a month), I almost felt like crying (except in this respect I am like Chandler), and I felt for the animals. This show is amazing, and the scenery and animals that are captured in it are so incredible. This is just another tribute to a TV channel that is truly unlike any other. Some of my other favorite shows on Discover Channel are Mythbusters, I shouldn't be alive, and Dirty Jobs. Friday night I enjoyed Panda Express (although I am not a big fan, I am always down for some Broccoli Beef) with a twelve pack of Brisk Raspberry Iced Tea (I only drank half of it) and watched Blood Diamond with Hill, Jon, and Whit. Quick Movie review.

Blood Diamond is a GREAT movie! I recommend it to everyone, it can open your eyes to just one of the many injustices in Africa. The acting is superb, while the script is amazing. Djimon Hounsou does an incredible job in his role as Solomon Vandy. The movie makes you look at the diamond industry in a very different light. While most that view the movie will still gladly purchase a diamond without thinking twice about the consequences, or where it might have come from, I still believe it can make some people choose an alternative route to purchasing diamonds. Especially as man made diamonds are becoming more into the public eye as acceptable. One problem with this is the controlled market be De Beers. Back to the movie, the exictement and action as well as dramatic fashion of the value of one man's family is too great to deny or disregard. Well...Hope everyone enjoys their week. Check ya'll later.


1 comment:

gene pensiero said...

--
i was very glad to stumble on your blog. couple of things:

#1 - Man Vs Wild is amazing...kelly and i discovered it a week or two ago and have been rabidly hounding my parent's DVR (we don't have cable) for every episode we can get. thus far we've seen Costa Rica, South Pacific Deserted Island, The Rockies, The Sierra Nevada, Kenya, The Alps and The Moab Desert. holy crap he's amazing.

#2 - thanks for the review on Blood Diamond. i hope the current trend of africa-awareness doesn't die away too fast. people in the west just don't really know what goes on over there involving the oil, diamond (and other gemstones) and pharmaceutical industries...not to mention all the other stuff.

#3 - congratulations on being an uncle.

#4 - Djimon is really, really amazing. i enjoy everything he's in.

#5 - thanks for linking to my blog.

now, i'm off to read your older posts.

blessings
gene pensiero