Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Is it manly to cry?

What is it that causes a person to cry?? This is a serious question. Why do women tend to cry more than those of the male persuasion? Is this a biological difference or something that happened a long time ago which has since branded male tears a disgrace? Is it a social issue or rather a chemical difference in the human body? Well I do not know the answer to really any of those questions and although I would like to figure it out, that is a topic more appropriate for a formal paper that I can get credit for than a blog.
I am not only referring to tears pouring from the eyes but rather the feelings that accompany them; whether it be sadness, anger, joy, fear or any other emotion that may cause one to shed a tear. Emotions are so very interesting, and now in this culture they have many options to try and change how a person feels using chemicals and drugs. Is there anything left anymore for true unhindered expression or is everyone holding back there true reactions and there true feelings from each other for fear of humiliation or maybe just fear of confrontation. There is one line in the movie Garden State that I love, and I have never figured out why but this is the edited version. "I have felt so numb to everything I have experienced in my life.......what I want more then anything in the world, is for it to be OK with you for me to feel something again, even if it's pain." This I do believe happens to us whether we are on medication or not but we do become numb to so many things in this world including God and this is not the way it should be.
Are our emotions within our control? I think that we try to control them but our real feelings always manage to poke through. Although not everyone notices but the people closest to us can always tell, and can always see how we are really feeling so with this in mind why do we try and mask our emotions. When did it become unacceptable to really feel something and really experience it the way God designed. I will admit that I have a really hard time crying, even when I really want to or I am truly sad but often times i find myself dry as Fresno in July. I am saying that I want to be free of these traps of how I am supposed to feel. Nobody tells me how to feel or what I am feeling, not even myself, I want my emotions to truly reflect how I am feeling and the condition of my heart. What would it look like if we all walked around with our hearts showing, just like God sees each of us? It would be a scary, ugly world. I want to cry when I want to, and I want to laugh when something is funny, not pretend to laugh because it is polite and not just laugh a little but have true joy with real laughter. To answer my first question, there is nothing wrong with it as long as it comes from the heart, it can't be forced and it can't be trivial or a common thing but true and from the HEART. This is when it is ok for a man or woman to cry, otherwise we are all fooling ourselves.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I freaking love you Carson Belmont