Thursday, January 24, 2008

Mr. Random

Well....A few things you should know, people always say I am very random and off the wall but I always have a logical or what I believe to be rational way of coming to the "off the wall" comments that I make so if you are ever around me when one of these comments are made ask for my train of thought and the conductor will gladly stop the train and let you get on board but hold on cause it's a wild ride. Also, It has again been entirely way to long since my last post. SO...in honor of my nick name here are some interesting things you may have wondered about or if not can now learn about.

For instance, did you ever wonder why the Barnum's Animal cracker boxes had that pointless string on it? I know I did, and no it was not for better carrying, in fact it was "so they could be used as Christmas tree ornaments."

Again, did you ever wonder why Leotard are called just that? Now please do not be upset because this was a childish assumption that was wrong of course however growing up I thought it was because the people wearing them looked retarded. However this is not the case and I apologize for the irrational thought process there, but it came about from a famous 19th century French trapeze artist who wore skintight bodysuits whose name was Jules Leotard.

Have you ever left some loose change in a little tray when going through a metal detector at an airport? And afterwards have you wondered what they do with it, is it a tip to the security guards, or maybe they give it to charity. Well actually the "US Treasury appropriates the money and returns it to circulation." In 2003 roughly $303,970 was left in loose change at airport metal detectors.

That's it for now but hopefully there will be more to come soon. And please feel free to comment because it makes me feel special when you do.

5 comments:

jeremy phillips said...

you make me feel special.

gene pensiero said...

--
glorious post.

Anonymous said...

You are special : ) a random comment shouldn't be needed to affirm that.

Are you doing ISP this year?

eva

Anonymous said...

i love fun facts like that. keep them coming. i thought the airport always gave you your loose change back though. do they seriously keep it? (i never have loose change in my pocket, so, i never pay attention)
liz

the McWhorters said...

great post - my favorite is the leotard/retard part.

Here's some more fun facts:

conventional wisdom says that it's physically impossible to fold a piece of paper more that 7 times. however, according to the 'Economist' magazine, if you were able to keep folding it (and doubling it's thickness), math principles theorize that the concentrated piece of paper would grow to astronimic heights:

10 folds: width of a hand
12 folds: height of a stool
14 folds: average adult height
20 folds: quarter of the sears tower
25 folds: height of the matterhorn
30 folds: outer atmosphere of earth
50 folds: distance to the sun
70 folds: 11 light years from Earth
100 folds: radius of the known universe